Thursday, April 26, 2012

3KCBWDAY4 - A Knitter For All Seasons?


As spring is in the air in the northern hemisphere and those in the southern hemisphere start setting their sights for the arrival of winter, a lot of crocheters and knitters find that their crafting changes along with their wardrobe. Have a look through your finished projects and explain the seasonality of your craft to your readers. Do you make warm woollens the whole year through in preparation for the colder months, or do you live somewhere that never feels the chill and so invest your time in beautiful homewares and delicate lace items. How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?

What, you want me to actually keep track of my knitting mojo?  Yeah, right.  Sure, no problem!

Here's another cool thing about being a librarian
(and feel free to take notes because I expound on this frequently...
if I was a superhero, being pedantic would be my power):
Librarians don't know everything.  They don't need to know everything. One only needs to have a good idea of where to begin research.  To the resources!

So, where do we start when looking for personal knitting behaviors at various times of the year? Anyone?
It's the answer to all knitting questions...

RAVELRY!

Let's look at the numbers, shall we? [Rav link to my projects gallery]

Hmmm.  Three years worth of data and all I got was this lousy line graph?  I've charted the number of projects on the needles per month (a whopping 7 projects in October 2011 alone) ...lo and behold, nothing makes sense -- unless one is intimately aware of the goings-on in my life.

The breakdown:
  • two understandable lulls during summer months (including the birth of my daughter) BUT a major lull in late 2009?  A: I was gadding about, thither and yon, with very little planning.  You'd think I'd be smart enough to bring knitting with me, but no!
  • three super duper large peaks?  A: knitting for my kid (Feb 2010), knitting tiny things for other people's kids (Oct 2011), birthdays for all! (Jan 2012)
  • the jaggedy nature of the line shows that, per month, I either work on a couple large projects or on several small projects in succession.

As far as fiber goes: almost always washable, all the time, as I have recently discovered that real wool makes my eyes feel like they've been doused in napalm (sad trombone).


Yeah yeah, I know, cool story, bro.  I guess I'm the kinda girl who brings a line graph to a gun fight.

To read all about crafting and seasons from others taking part in Knitting and Crochet Blog Week, simply perform a Google search for the tag 3KCBWDAY4.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the graph. Tell me how you made this magic happen!

Anonymous said...

Your graph is a great idea! I really feel like I just knit what I want when I want and I'm happy.

Karen said...

Graphs make me happy :) I love the one you created!!

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

Oh my goodness, you crack me up!

Unknown said...

from one librarian to another, amen!

also, line graphs. where would we be without them? i've got a massive one for tracking stash acquisition and usage that i obsess over...

Nicole said...

Haha that graph is awesome! Clearly answers the questions in today's topic though in such an easy way :-P

Emily said...

Love this idea! This would be a great way to do an end-of-the-year wrap up type post too ... hmm ...

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

great idea - might try it too

Lynn said...

I want to be this creative and clever when I grow up....

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

I love the graph! Perfect sensible way of answering the topic!

kathy b said...

very cool information on your graph!!! Love it. FUn to see a different kind of post ! Isn't this week great?