Wednesday, April 25, 2012

3KCBWDAY3 - Your Knitting Hero


Blog about someone in the fibre crafts who truly inspires you.

One of the awesome things about being a librarian is that people know I like books, so I get books and bookstore gift cards for holidays and birthdays - AWESOME!

So I was looking through Amazon, wielding a gift card from a remarkably generous someone  ...and there it was, calling me from the computer screen: "Look!  A book with words and funny stuff and also knitting is there, too!"  I am speaking of Knitting Rules, one of the many books by one Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.
Also pictured: a bowl of chocolate.  Because why not.

I have other books of hers now -- mostly her essay collections -- but I keep coming back to this slim volume for its variety of uses.  From the very first page, I was hooked (ugh, tangent, sorry: that is a horrible crochet pun that was totally unintended, especially since a crochet implement in my hands is best used for provisional cast-ons and picking up dropped stitches.  But I am very fond of some amazing crochet artisans, so there's that.  Please don't hate me!).  Techniques and patterns and materials discussions and shortcuts and formulas, they're all in there, but mostly there's funny.  And occasional wisdom:
A scarf that has turned out too big is not a failure.  It's a shawl.  p169

Yes.  Common sense.  Because it's hard enough turning string into fabric without bringing all these expectations of perfection into it!

I read through more than twice, and then the back cover bio blurb caught my eye:
Wait, what?  The Yarn Harlot?  Wait, there are knitting blogs?!

Cut to: a whole week of my life gone, reading every single post.
Yeah, I'm that person. 
Seriously, you guys, if you haven't already, read her stuff!

Later, when I caught myself posting daily knitting statuses to Facebook, it gave me pause; I have amazing friends who are very tolerant of my idiosyncrasies, but given time I was sure they would eventually tire of my hobby.  And my husband, while wonderful, is what is known in common parlance as a "non-knitter"; he was blessed with deep stores of patience and absolutely zero interest in anything craft-related.

It was time.  I had to go niche, concentrate and collect all these burbling thoughts somewhere, creating a knitting brain stash that interested parties could enjoy.  Or not, you know, whatever.  Nothing says big knitting trouble like an unfiltered one-way brain broadcast to the internet world, amirite?

This blog: if I'm its mother, SPM is its grandmother.


To read all about other knitting and crochet heroes from those taking part in Knitting and Crochet Blog Week, simply perform a Google search for the tag 3KCBWDAY3.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

SPM is a great hero! She has a wonderful sense of humor and is a stellar knitter. I loved reading your post.

Faith (the Vampire Slayer) said...

Excellent choice of hero. I was that person when I found her blog too ;)

Truly Myrtle said...

I wish she really was my grandmother! Or a big sister at least :)

Francesca said...

You read my mind! She's a legend.

Stacey said...

Great hero! She's fabulous!

Jen Hagan said...

Oh good choice! Love her perspective and yes, I have (and have read) all her books. Curiously, I hardly ever read her blog. You have reminded me to add her to my blog reading list!

Hi, I'm Vicki said...

oooh good choice, i might need to buy that book - it looks great. have a knitty wednesday xxx

Sparkle and Co said...

Thank you for sharing, I'll order the book to Amazon!

Unknown said...

yeah, the frank way she deals with disaster is excellent.

even when she accidentally burn/singes/disintegrates her rhinebeck sweater...

Stefanie said...

I need to read one of her books. I love your bubbly enthusiasm for our craft.