It's a colorwork chart! (What?! I know.) There's lots of talk going on about the Olympics being held in Russia next month, what with their human-rights-violating legislation... SO in support of the LGBTQ community worldwide (especially any brave LGBTQ athletes competing in Sochi this year -- some protests are about being visible):
ALLY ♥ SQUARE
- approx 65-100 yards of worsted weight plied yarn in the appropriate colors: black, white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple + additional color of choice for text
- US #8/5mm knitting needles (straight OR 16-inch circular)
- Tapestry needle (for weaving in all the ends!)
Gauge: 15 sts/22 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
Recommended needle size and gauge suggestions are for achieving an 8” x 8” square; your mileage may vary.
Please note: the square, as knit according to the instructions below, will curl a LOT; please take this into consideration when planning its final destination (seaming it into a blanket with other squares, edged in garter stitch or single crochet border for a stand-alone thing, etc.).
Cast on 31 stitches using a long-tail cast on. Follow 44-row colorwork chart. Bind off.
- The “ALLY ♥” text is loosely stranded using any contrasting color (aqua in the sample)
- The rainbow sections alternate with striped black and white, achieved through intarsia
Approximate yardage for each color:
Red: 1-2 yards; Orange: 3-5 yards; Yellow: 5-8 yards; Green: 8-12 yards; Blue: 8-13 yards; Purple: 8-13 yards; White: 8-13 yards; Black: 21-30 yards; Text: 4-7 yards