Thursday, March 31, 2011

Where are they now? | 2KCBWDAY4

Write about the fate of a past knitting project.

Ghost of Knitting Past: the Citron Cardigan

Somewhere in the late spring months of 2009, I had this idea that a bright bulky sweater would be the perfect item to take to Italy in October.  Never mind that all the travel guides suggest packing black, black, and more black... never mind that the average temperature at my destination would be in the 60s °F (and the actual temp turned out to be upper 80s°F, but never mind that, too)... never mind that a bulky sweater takes up way too much space in the one piece of luggage I intended to take... and never mind that I'd also planned to knit two other garments for the trip.  NO, I defy your logic, Future Me!  NO, I will rationalize like the pro that I am!  NO, a citron cardigan it would be, and I set about finding the perfect pattern and yarn.

Found: bulky cabled cardigan coat pattern, Josephine by Melissa Dominguez!
Knitty image: it's bee-ewe-tea-full!

Found: twelve skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Lemongrass!
twelve of these bad boys


Found: Lantern Moon Blonde circular and straight needles in cah-razy non-U.S. sizes!
7mm and 7.5mm AKA 103/4 and 107/8


Created: the back of the sweater!  Glorious cables!
Yeah, there are mistakes... so what?


Created: the right front panel of the sweater!  Check out that armhole shaping!
it's not really this color

And then... July hit.  For those who have never been to the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States, we have a humid sub-tropical climate with the average high temperature peaking at 88°F in the third week of July. Given those conditions, it's a wonder I got as far on the left front panel as I did...
That's, like, two inches.


And there it sits, in pieces, waiting for me to pick it back up.  It's been very patient.
patient and stylish, thankyouverymuch

I still really like the color.

11 comments:

Nancy McCarroll said...

You (were) and ARE very ambitious. Cables, even. It will wait until the time is right to be finished. Just keep up conversation with that green yarn, and it won't die of neglect.

pinkundine said...

That green colour is really lovely. Looks like a nice pattern too, hopefully one day it'll get finished ;)

Gin said...

Gorgeous cables, usually I thought I dont like green, but really like your green yarn.
I might just have to get some green yarn, just for me...

Anonymous said...

That's going to be a beautiful sweater. I do hope you finish it.

Stefanie said...

That is one challenging sweater. I like the color and what you've done so far.
Don't give up on it. It's warm where you are right now but you can always work on it a bit a day and finish it by this winter.

Chrissy said...

That coat looks incredible. You must pick it up for next Fall, it is stunning. Now I must queue it immediately.

Moonie said...

Oh, you're going to love that whenever it gets done! I adore the colour, and the stitch definition is quite nice. What a treat!

Beverly said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! Also, I love your Audrey tote bag--adorable!!

A Playful Day said...

I know I should comment on the hand knit but.... I LOVE THAT BAG!!!

Saffy said...

This is the second time I've seen this pattern today, having never come across it before. Looks like it'll be fab once it's done.

Anonymous said...

Aww, that is an awesome pattern! I would've wanted to take it to Italy, too.