Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tidy mind, tidy stitches | 2KCBWDAY3


How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised?

I got this bright idea (a dorm-dweller's mentality? from moving several times? I dunno.) that the best yarn storage system would consist of temporary items that could be 1} easily moved and b} very quickly converted to another purpose should the need arise.

Behold: the stash!
in the spare room, using hanging shoe organizers, sweater shelves, etc.
small planned projects and acrylic leftovers
large planned projects, unplanned stash, and wool leftovers
"in process" bucket


Behold: the needles!
contained in large resealable baggies, one each for most sizes
needles in a haystack made of needles
This system needs improvement, buuuut I don't quite know how.  Maybe a big binder a la Grumperina?  I like keeping all needles of one size together.  Suggestions welcome!

Behold: (most of) the books!
in my cubicle at work; don't you judge me.
just some of the many tomes

Behold: the... patterns?  Where'd they go?  I know I have a bunch of printed-out and copied... oh, there they are!
the box is marked "knitting needles" -- it lies.

This system needs improvement also, possibly a binder with tabs

Behold: Ravelry!
this site has saved my life, as I spend a good 85% of my waking non-car hours in front of a computer.

best.thing.ever

9 comments:

Gin said...

Wow hanging shoe organiser - what a great idea. Love it.

pinkundine said...

Cool idea with the hanging organiser :) I'm trying to come up with something more interesting than my storage bucket, so I may have to adopt this one!

Anonymous said...

Hanging organizer FTW XD

Vivianne said...

Hanging organizers: brilliant idea. If only I had a spare room LOL
I have my patterns in a tabbed binder ;-)

Stefanie said...

Great idea using those hanging shoe organizers. I could hang those on the rod of my closet as I have sliding doors.

AC said...

Totally dorm mindset, not that there's anything wrong with that. You couldn't stick me in a tiny room again, though!

Cyprienne said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone! What did not get photographed are the thirty or so random unopened boxes from when we moved in June 2010. Clearly I have my priorities straight.

Nancy McCarroll said...

Nice and very tidy .. impressive!

pip said...

the shoe hanger is a great idea :)