Thursday, October 13, 2011

Knitwear at the Movies: Amélie

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, AKA Amélie, is one of my favorite movies.  Ever.  Everevereverever.  Like permanent Top 5.  Never gets old.  Always a treat.   Makes me happy.  Love.  <3

When I watch a foreign language movie without subtitles, by the end, I truly believe I understood everything perfectly.  In reality, I know just enough French to get in some serious trouble.  I was going to illustrate this by "translating" everything into French. After some time away from the movie's hypnotic powers, I was going to use Google Translate and tweak it to make everything correct.

Now the plan is to tell you the plan and skip the French.  So the French is skipped.  And somewhere in my hometown, my high school French teacher is quietly weeping.  Je suis désolée, Madame L.  :(  I can still pronounce everything perfectly!  Stylo Rouge dance for that?

Bonus traveling gnome pattern at the end of this post!


The Sweater Kid
I want to make all of these sweaters for my daughter tout de suite.   Vite!
 
This is the same sweater as in the first picture.  I love it x 3.
 


Les Châles de Georgette
The shawls worn by Georgette (Isabelle Nanty) signal her mood, seemingly without the character knowing it.

"Oh, I feel so sick all the time, I don't know what's wrong with me!"
"Oh, je suis si malade toujours, je vais cracher une plèvre!"
Readers will note the gray circles under the eyes, the downturned mouth, the shawl tied tightly around the neck and shoulders...
 
 
back detail of brown shawl -- ooh, ah!

"I'm in love!  Life is wonderful!  Sunshine!  Puppies!"
"Je suis amoureuse! La vie est belle!  Il fait du soleil!"
Here we see Georgette using the shawl purely as decoration to lure the beta male of the species.
 
 

"The guy I liked is an idiot; why are the losers always drawn to me?"
"L'homme que j'aimais est un imbécile, pourquoi dois-je attirer les idiots?"
Re-sick.
 

Hey wait?  Was that knitting?
Take that and rewind it back!

And she crochets, too!


French Men Do Wear Knits
 
 

Amélie has Pretty Sweaters
This is plain, but it's one of the bulkier sweaters she wears.  Also, not red or green!

This tweed cardijacket is gorgeous, and the scenery's not bad, either.
 

If I lived alone, I totally wouldn't set a place at the dinner table and all that.  Heck, I don't do that now.

I'm kind of in love with this stitch pattern; it's very simple but still interesting.  And the haircut, of course.



Zed was here.


BONUS: wanna knit the Traveling Gnome?
free! Travelling Gnome [Rav link] by Raynor Gellatly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have watch Amelie exactly once. I know it is hugely popular and to tell you the truth I never noticed all the knits! Very interesting.