Friday, November 30, 2012

FO: Gryphon in Repose

To prove I was Not Doing Nothing with the past couple of weeks, I present you with a wedding shawl!

 Ethereal [Rav] by Lakshmi Juneja; knit with a full skein of Spirit Trail Fiberworks "Nona" ~ Merino/Cashmere/Bombyx Silk in colorway Bacchus

 It's a free! pattern, as most of the ones I knit are, and I didn't want it to end!!... but I ran out of yarn.
 
I miscalculated the amount of Chart 2 repeats I could do, and ended up using 75% yarn with only 70% shawl knit.  The first math I did said that I could do 8 repeats... but that only worked using US3 needles.  Since my brand new ordered-for-this 40” needles were mislabeled and are actually size US4 (thanks, unnamed online knitting store!), the math got all messed up. And I wasn't about to buy new new needles, curse my miserliness frugality.  SO I redid math, and didn't rip anything out.  The new math had bindoff occurring 10 rows early (row 73)...

until new new math had to happen!  Yep.  Thank goodness for spreadsheets.  The new new math had bindoff occurring at row 67 of the final chart, so instead of super pointy border fun times, the edging looked more like cathedral arches or something.  Still pretty.

There's only one yard of this awesome awesome yarn remaining for just-in-case emergency snag repairs, and my friend looked beautiful at her wedding!  Such an awesome day!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ah, spreadsheets come through yet again!

Jill Factotum said...

Love love love love love times a gazillion. Thanks, Cyprienne!